In our previous post, we established the importance of embarking on a fast as an individual or a group. Most churches embark on the collective fast like the International Central Gospel Church which fasts in the month of July.
Most Christians are aware of the benefits of embarking on a fast but there are a number of misconceptions that needs clarification, for instance:
1. Fasting is not a hunger strike, neither is it starvation.
2. The number of hours that you “starve” yourself does not guarantee an answered prayer.
3. Do not pack up your breakfast or lunch to eat later when you break the fast.
4. Do not keep unforgiveness or hatred in your heart while you fast.
5. Do not go through the fast as if it is a ritual.
If you are not too certain about what fasting is and how it is supposed to be observed, please read and mediate on Isaiah 58. Let me know what you discovered.